The Calgary High School Drama Festival was founded in 1962.
After 50 years, what continues to make the festival unique is who organizes and runs it. This isn’t a stand-alone, impersonal, out-of-touch festival. The CHSDF is the product of the brains and hearts of Calgary’s high school Drama teachers, both Public and Catholic, who are working with Calgary’s youth every day. We work together to create a space for students to:
- Share their work
- See what other schools are doing
- Learn directly from industry professionals
- Connect with like-minded peers
- Show off how great Calgary Drama students are!
The Festival is sponsored by the Calgary Board of Education and the Calgary Catholic Board of Education. The Festival fee is $40.00 per student regardless of level of participation. It is due mid-March as determined in order to facilitate planning. The fee is non-refundable. Officially speaking, the Festival Objectives are:
- To assist the development of drama and to promote the relationship between drama and the life of the community.
- To raise the standard of production by affording groups the opportunity of being critiqued by an impartial adjudicator.
- To promote a high standard of dramatic appreciation among participants; and to encourage the progressive element of drama productions.
- This is a non-competitive drama festival that celebrates the artistic development of drama students within our Calgary school systems.
- To provide professional development and collaboration of drama teachers from C.B.E. and C.S.S.D.